Friday 10 August 2012

MUSINGS FROM THE BOWER 12


Suddenly, we have butterflies! After gloomy weeks with no butterflies alighting on the ‘butterfly friendly’ plants we grow in the garden near the bower, they have arrived. Not a lot – but they’re coming. Over the last few days the sun brought along Red Admirals, Peacocks, Commas, Large Whites and Holly Blues. I spent ages today watching a glorious red Peacock on the purple buddleia against a brilliant blue sky. Magic!
It makes such a difference when the sun shines – I know that folk from other countries laugh at us for constantly talking about the weather. But how can we not, when we never know for certain whether we need a brolly or a sunhat?






I bet that the weather was one of the main talking points at the Olympics, even amongst the competitors from overseas. It’s been fantastic, hasn’t it? Not only seeing hundreds of skilled people giving their all in their chosen sport, but watching the immense pride on their faces as they stand on that podium to receive their medals. The opening ceremony was amazing, creatively telling of some of Britain’s history with a cast of thousands never putting a foot wrong, and the lighting of the torch was both touching and exhilarating. But the showstopper must have been the Queen. Let’s face it, how many 86 year-olds do you know who parachute from helicopters?! Seriously, though, we are seeing the Queen in a new light. So often, royal insiders have mentioned her sense of fun – now we have seen it for ourselves. Bond has a new girl!

I don’t seem to have done much this week. After editing the Doll Showcase Magazine that I produce and publish, I’ve been working on my autobiography. It’s not of my whole life, I think that would be pretty boring. This is just the story of my childhood. The most surprising thing I’ve discovered is that, as I write, incidents I’d forgotten come crowding back into my head. I found a photo of the first school I attended, and it must have triggered my memory. All at once I could recall making a puppet, playing with metal zoo animals, learning to sew (on a horrid piece of stiff cambric) and losing my hanky!





Luckily, my Father was an amateur photographer, so I have several of his albums covering all of my childhood. My pets – my dog, cat, tortoise, guinea pig. My toys – my dolls, rocking horse, teddy and dolls’ pram. Holidays – sitting outside various caravans, building sandcastles, paddling or just enjoying the sun. And people, so many aunts, cousins, uncles, grannies, granddads – and parents. All gone. What memories, and how wonderful to have the albums to jog my brain. I don’t expect many people will read the book when it’s done. I’m really writing it for my children – but what fun I‘m having doing it!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment